Dr. Sharifah Munirah Alatas
Strategic Studies and International Relations Programme
School of History, Politics and Strategic Studies
Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
National University of Malaysia
43600 UKM Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia
India, Foreign Policy/Bi-Lateral Relations, Environmental Scarcity & National Security, Politics of Freshwater Scarcity & Security
Dr. Sharifah Munirah Alatas, a Malaysian national, lived, and was educated in the United States of America. She received her doctorate in History from Columbia University, New York City in 1997. Dr. Alatas’ main area of research lies in Foreign Policy, India/South Asia, Politics of Freshwater Scarcity, Environmental Scarcity & Degradation. Her writings have focused on comprehensive security, foreign policy, freshwater scarcity and conflict studies, mostly relating to South Asia/India, and Southeast Asia/Malaysia. Dr. Alatas is presently a lecturer at the National University of Malaysia (Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, UKM). She was Managing Editor of an academic publication, the Journal of Diplomacy and Foreign Relations (JDFR), as well as Editor-in-Chief of the Institute of Diplomacy and Foreign Relations Occasional Papers Series. Some of her previous appointments have included Director of Academic Programs, Nilai International University College, Malaysia, Director of Research and Publications, Institute of Diplomacy and Foreign Relations (IDFR), Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia, and Political Analyst at the Institute of Strategic and International Studies (ISIS), Prime Minister’s Department, Malaysia.
- “Post 9-11 Malaysia-India Relations: An Environmental Security Perspective”. Chapter in Disaster Management and Sustainable Development In India. Edited by Dr. Sudhir Singh, Jawarharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, 2008. (Forthcoming)
- “India-Malaysia Relations Since 2003: Through the Lens of Freshwater Scarcity and Security”. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Globalization, Development, Public Policy and Management: Emerging Issues, March 9-10, 2008, School of Commerce and Management Studies, Kannur University, Kerala, India. (Forthcoming)
- “Ottoman-Southeast Asia Relations in the 17th Century”, Al-Shajarah, Volume 12 No. 1, International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilization (ISTAC), Malaysia, 2008. (**Publication of MA Thesis)
- “New Security Paradigms in the 21st Century: An Overview of Freshwater Security in Malaysia”. Chapter in MALAYSIA AND THAILAND IN THE 21st CENTURY, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, National University of Malaysia, 2008.
- “Managing” India in the Post-9/11 Era: The Role of China”. Paper delivered at the Asian Political and International Studies Association (APISA) Professional Capacity Building Workshop, November 14-18, 2008, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- “Global Freshwater Security and Privatization: Development and the Wittfogel Thesis”. Paper delivered at the 5th Beijing Forum, The Harmony of Civilizations and Prosperity for All, November 7-9, 2008, Peking University, Beijing, China.
- “Affect of Climate Change on Freshwater Availability: Growing Concerns in Malaysia”. Paper delivered at the Forum on The Environment and Climate Change, International Medical University, July 2008, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- “Water Resource Scarcity in the 21st Century: Has It Reached A Critical Point In India And Malaysia?”. Paper delivered at the Environment and Climate Change Seminar Series, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), June 5, 2008, Singapore.
- “India-Malaysia Relations: Suggested Solutions To Freshwater Scarcity And Degradation”. Paper delivered at the International Seminar on India and Southeast Asia: Strategic Convergence in the 21st Century, Organized by the SAARC Centre, University of Andhra and the Ministry of External Affairs, India, March 25-28, 2008, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- “India-Malaysia Relations Since 2003: Through The Lens Of Freshwater Scarcity And Security”. Paper presented at the International Conference on ‘Globalization, Development, Public Policy and Management: Emerging Issues’, March 9-10, 2008, the Kairali Heritage Kattampally, Kannur, Kerala, India. Conference organized by the University of Kerala, Kannur, India.
- Climate Change and Adaptation Research Group (with LESTARI): “Water Scarcity and Climate Change”. Research University Operation Fund (Dana Operasi Universiti Penyelidikan, OUP), US$25,000, 1 year.
- US and the New Asia: Challenges and Prospects in Building a New Partnership for the 21st Century: “US-India Relations in the 21st Century: An Environmental Security Perspective”. Research University Grant (Geran Universiti Penyelidikan, GUP).
Consulting (Ahli Jawatankuasa)
- Editorial Advisory Committee, Malaysian Water Association.
- Chief Editor, Water Malaysia. Bi-Monthly Publication of the Malaysian Water Association.
- Sub-Committee on Water Resources, Dams and Ground Water, Revision of Malaysian Water Association (MWA) Guidelines on Water Supply Systems.
- Editorial Committee, Malaysian Water Partnership (MyWP) Newsletter.
- Executive Committee, Malaysian Association of American Studies (MAAS).
- Executive Committee, International Conference on Social Sciences and Humanities (ICOSH), 2009. Theme: “The Progressive Impact of Research in the Social Sciences and Humanities: Towards the Regeneration of Knowledge”. Conference scheduled for December 2009, National University of Malaysia (UKM).
- Secretariat/Rapporteur, 3rd Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR), Putra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur, December 2-4, 2008.
- Research Fellow, Southeast Asia Disaster Prevention Research Institute (SEADPRI)
- Ahli Jawatankuasa Persidangan Pusat Pengajian Sejarah, Politik dan Strategi
- Metodologi Hubungan Antarabangsa (SKSS 2033)
- Perbandingan Dasar Pertahanan (SKSS 6063)
- Globalisasi dan Regionalisme (SKSS 2063)
- Alam Sekitar dan Hubungan Antarabangsa (SKSS 3103)
- Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT), Cochin, Kerala, India
- (Lecture topic: India and Malaysia: Post 9-11 Environmental Issues)
- DCSMAT Business School, Kerala, India
- (Lecture topic: Management of Freshwater Resources in Malaysia)
- Department of Management Studies, School of Commerce and Management Studies, Kannur University, Kerala, India
- (Lecture topic: Comparative Look at Sustainable Environmental Management in India and Malaysia)
- Malaysian Association for American Studies (MAAS), Executive Committee Member.
- Environmental Management and Research Association of Malaysia (ENSEARCH), Member
- International Water Association (IWA), Member
- Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI), Member
- Association of Third World Studies (ATWS), Member
- Malaysian Water Partnership (MyWP), Committee Member, Life Member
- The Malaysian Water Association (MWA), Committee Member
- Southeast Asian Association for Gender Studies (Malaysian Branch), Member
- Malaysian Association of Social Sciences (PSSM), Member
- Asian Political and International Studies Association (APISA), Member