Dr. Peter NGEOW Chow Bing
Deputy Director, Institute of China Studies (ICS), University of Malaya
Editor, International Journal of China Studies
Ph.D. Public and International Affairs, Northeastern University
M.A. Political Science, Northeastern University
B.A. (Honours) International Relations, St. Cloud State University
Area of Expertise
Comparative Politics (Chinese Politics, Southeast Asian Politics, Democracy and Democratization, Nationalism, Civil Society)
Academic Board Member, Centre for Malaysian Chinese Studies, 2012 – present (National)
- NGEOW Chow Bing (editor). Forthcoming in 2019. Researching China in Southeast Asia. New York: Routledge.
- NGEOW Chow Bing and KUIK Cheng Chwee (editors). 2018. Rising China, Resilient Japan, Resourceful ASEAN: Collected Writings of Lee Poh Ping on East Asian International Relations. Petaling Jaya: SIRD.
- Lowell DITTMER and NGEOW Chow Bing (editors). 2017. Southeast Asia and China: A Contest in Mutual Socialization. Singapore: World Scientific Press.
- Haiyun MA, CHAI Shaojin, and NGEOW Chow Bing (editors). 2016. Zhenghe Forum: Connecting China with the Muslim World. Kuala Lumpur: Institute of China Studies, University of Malaya.
Chapter in Books
- NGEOW Chow Bing. 2019. “Religion in China’s Public Diplomacy towards the Belt and Road Countries in Asia.” In Silk Road to Belt Road: Reinventing the Past and Shaping the Future, edited by M. Nazrul Islam, pp. 75-93. Heidelberg: Springer.
- NGEOW Chow Bing. 2019. “A ‘Model’ for ASEAN Countries? Sino-Malaysian Relations during the Xi Jinping Era.” In China and Southeast Asia in the Xi Jinping Era, edited by Alvin Cheng-Hin Lim and Frank Cibulka, pp. 103-122. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- NGEOW Chow Bing. 2019. “Economic Cooperation and Infrastructure Linkage between Malaysia and China under the Belt and Road Initiative.” In Regional Connection under the Belt and Road Initiative: The Prospects for Economic and Financial Cooperation, edited by Fanny M. Cheung and Ying-yi Hong, pp. 164-191. New York: Routledge.
- LEE Kam Hing and NGEOW Chow Bing. 2016. “China-Malaysia Relations: ZHENG He and the Islamic Link”. In Haiyun MA, CHAI Shaojin and NGEOW Chow Bing (eds.). China-Malaysia Relations: Zheng He and the Islamic Link. (Kuala Lumpur: Institute of China Studies, University of Malaya), pp. 23-37.
- NGEOW Chow Bing. “Two-Front System in Malaysia: Catalyst for Democracy.” In WU Yanhua and PAN Yongqing (eds). Incomplete Political Transformation: Commentary on the 2013 Elections in Malaysia. (Kuala Lumpur: Centre for Malaysian Chinese Studies).
- NGEOW, Chow Bing, 2017. “Taiwan’s Go South Policy: Déjà vu All Over Again?” Contemporary Southeast Asia, 39: 1, 96-126.
- NGEOW, Chow Bing, 2017. “Barisan Nasional and the Chinese Communist Party: A Case Study in China’s Party-based Diplomacy.” China Review, 17: 1, 53-82.
- NGEOW, Chow Bing, 2016. “经济高于地缘政治：马来西亚对21世纪海上丝绸之路的观点”，《南洋问题研究》（厦门）2016年第4期，总第168期，页53-66.
- NGEOW, Chow Bing and MA Hailong. 2016 More Islamic, No Less Chinese: Explorations into the Overseas Chinese Muslim Identities in Malaysia. Ethnic and Racial Studies, 39: 12, 2108-2128. (ISI-Indexed)
- NGEOW, Chow Bing, 2015. Comprehensive Strategic Partners but Prosaic Military Ties: The Development of Malaysia-China Defence Relations 1991-2015. Contemporary Southeast Asia, 37:2, 269-304. (ISI-Indexed)
- NGEOW, Chow Bing. 2015. From Translation House to Think Tank: The Changing Role of the Chinese Communist Party s Central Compilation and Translation Bureau. Journal of Contemporary China, 24:93, 554-572. (ISI-Indexed)
- NGEOW Chow Bing, Ling Tek Soon, Fan Pik Shy. “Pursuing Chinese Studies Amidst Identity Politics in Malaysia” East Asia: An International Quarterly, 31(2): 103-122. (SCOPUS-Indexed)
- NGEOW, Chow Bing. “Discourses on Chinese-Style Democracy in China.” China: An International Journal 12 (3): 94-114. (ISI-Indexed)
- NGEOW Chow Bing. 2018. “Mahathir’s Views on International Relations and China: Implications for Malaysia-China Relations.” Asia Dialogue, August 3. http://theasiadialogue.com/2018/08/03/mahathirs-views-on-international-relations-and-china-implications-for-malaysia-china-relations/
- NGEOW Chow Bing. 2017. “Xi’s Command of the Provinces.” Asia Dialogue, October 17. http://theasiadialogue.com/2017/10/17/xis-command-of-the-provinces/
- NGEOW Chow Bing. 2017. “China’s Religious Charm Offensive: The Case of Malaysia.” Asia Dialogue, May 18. http://theasiadialogue.com/2017/05/18/chinas-religious-charm-offensive-the-case-of-malaysia/
- NGEOW Chow Bing. 2017. “The Domestic Frays in Sino–Malaysian Ties.” East Asia Forum, January 26. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2017/01/26/the-domestic-frays-in-sino-malaysian-ties/
- NGEOW Chow Bing. 2016. “Is Consensus Emerging in the South China Sea?” East Asia Forum, August 10. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2016/08/10/is-consensus-emerging-on-the-south-china-sea/